Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions can be found below. If your question isn't answered below, feel free to reach out!

How can I confirm that you are legally able to marry us?

Every person who is legally able to marry couples is listed on the provincial website. If you type my name, Karen Trines, into either of the below registers, you will find that I am legally able to perform marriages in both Ontario and Quebec. In Ontario: https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/registered-marriage-officiants/resource/e010f610-c3d6-4f88-849b-6f8c11e98d9c In Quebec: https://services.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/celebrants/index.aspx?lang=en

How far in advance should I book my wedding officiant?

It really depends! If you are planning to get married on a Saturday in wedding season (May - October), I'd recommend getting in touch as soon as you have your date confirmed, as Saturdays in those months book up quickly. Off-season dates or non-Saturday dates tend to have a bit more flexibility... but it's best to book as soon as you can. Want to get married this afternoon? You never know until you ask, so reach out now to see if I have availability!

Will you attend my wedding rehearsal?

I certainly can! While not always necessary, it does add a little extra comfort for everyone involved if we walk through it a few times before the big day. Additional fees will apply, and availability is dependent on the date and time of your rehearsal.

Can we sign the papers at your location?

You sure can! My home office is located in the West end of Ottawa, and you are more than welcome to sign your papers in the home I share with my wife and our Boston Terrier Phynlea, or in our cozy backyard!

I am a Quebec resident - can I get married in Ontario?

Definitely! Getting married in a different province in Canada doesn't change the fact that your marriage is legal, Canada-wide. There are a few differences you should be aware of, though: - In Quebec, the licensing process is all done through your wedding officiant (hence the higher pricing), whereas in Ontario, you are required to go to City Hall to obtain a marriage licence, prior to your weding. - If you are obtaining a marriage licence, there are no requirements for publication of marriage in Ontario. - Should you ever seek to end your marriage, you would need to do so through the province of Ontario. - While Ontario residents are able to assume a new last name after marriage, Quebec residents are not - regardless of where they tie the knot!

What if we need to cancel or make a change to our date / time?

Sometimes things happen and plans change! I do my best to be flexible, especially in the era of COVID19. Up until 60 days before your wedding, send me your new date or time, and I will make the change free of charge, pending my availability. Changes can also be made after the 60 day mark (wherever possible!) but a $50 change fee will be added to your contract. Looking to cancel your contract completely? Contracts can be cancelled in writing at any time. Please note that there will be no refund of any payments made up until cancellation.

We don't want to have any guests. Can you provide witnesses?

Absolutely! I can provide witnesses (if available) for your paper signing or elopement, for a fee of $40 per witness.

What are the requirements to get my marriage licence?

In both Ontario and Quebec, the only requirements to get your marriage licence are that you are both there willingly, and that you are both over the age of 16. Those between the ages of 16 and 18 will require written parental consent.

Where can I get my marriage licence?

You can get your marriage licence at any municpal office in Ontario - it doesn't have to be the same city that you plan to get married in.

How much does getting a marriage licence cost?

The cost for a marriage licence varies by municipality. At city hall in Ottawa, a marriage licence currently costs $171.50. Tip: You can save a little money if you're willing to drive outside the city! For example, in North Grenville you can get your marriage licence for $120.

How do we get a marriage licence?

Read our blog post for all the steps!

Do we both need to go to the appointment to get our marriage licence?

You don't! One person can obtain a marriage licence, as long as they have the application form completed and signed by both partners, and they bring their partner's pieces of ID.

What's the difference between a marriage licence and a marriage certificate?

A marriage licence is obtained at city hall / a municipal office by the couple. They bring the licence to their ceremony, and the officiant signs it and mails it to the province to register the marriage. A marriage certificate can be ordered approximately 3 months following your ceremony, and is the document you keep to show that you are married - similar to a birth certificate. Read our blog post for more details about your marriage licence!

I am getting married but my ID does not accurately relfect my gender or name. Is this an issue?

The application for a marriage licence does not ask for sex or gender information, and your marriage certificate has no gender markings on it. However, in order to get a marriage licence, you are required to provide 2 pieces of ID. The marriage licence will be granted with your legal name on it. If you legally change your name at a later date, you can obtain a new marriage certifcate with your new legal name. To do this, contact Service Ontario at 1-800-461-2156 and request an application for a correction to a Marriage Registratoin Form (form 23).

Do I need any specific documents if I am widowed?

No. In Ontario, you are not required to provide any additional documentation if you are widowed.

Do I need any specific documents if I am divorced?

Yes. If you have been divorced, you will need to bring your original court certified divorce documents to your marriage licence appointment. If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need a legal written opinion from an Ontario lawyer. Contact a lawyer for more information on this.

How soon after we get our licence can you marry us?

As soon as you want - I can even meet you at city hall and marry you that same day!